Sunday, January 27, 2008

Why Wasn't St. Joe's/Temple On Last Night?


I knew that St. Joe's and Temple were playing last night, and I simply assumed that the game would be on Comcast SportsNet since this was a truly local matchup (played at the Liacouras Center) that occurred during a time (6pm) when CSN would usually struggle for programming on a Saturday.

Boy, was I ever wrong.

After checking out all of the usual suspects for the location of this game, I go to the St. Joe's schedule, only to find out that the game was on ESPNU.

ESPNU? WTF?

How in the hell can this be allowed to happen in this sports market, where the NHL is off on it's midseason break and the NBA team is, to put it charitably, not good. I mean, what self-respecting Philadelphia sports fan wouldn't have wanted to watch the streaking Hawks, winners of 7 of their last 8, against the resurgent Owls under the watchful eye of Franny Dunphy?
From what I have come to understand in the past 24 hours on this issue is that it has to do with the TV contract that the A-10 has with CSTV, but I could be wrong. I do intend to find out more on this. While I may not know the ins and outs of the A-10 TV contract, I do know that of the roughly 20 billion college basketball games that were played last night (all of them seemingly on TV), the one I wanted to watch that was played right in the Delaware Valley featuring two local Universities was NOT on local TV last night.
That is nothing short of a travesty.


No comments: