Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sixers Win; Santana Deal Sinks In

I was all set to sit down and write poetically about how enthusiastic am I to have a young player like Thaddeus Young on the Sixers to watch for the next 10 years or so. Young and the rest of the Sixers just walked all over the Milwaukee Bucks (who, admittedly, were missing Michael Redd and looked like they would rather be at the Borgata than in South Philly) by a score of 112 - 69. Young had a fantastic game, with 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists. The kid looks like a real keeper.

But sadly, that's not what's on my mind today.

The deal the Mets made to get Johan Santana sunk in while listening to the Sports Guy podcast on the way into work today.

I would file the decision to listen to that podcast under "Big Fucking Mistake". Just listening to those guys go on and on about Santana put me in a miserable mood on a day where I have no real reason to be miserable. I'm going to the Flyers game tonite against the Rangers and I'll have a blast, so I have every reason to be feeling good. Unfortunately, I allowed 30 minutes of Bill Simmons patronizing a Mets fan get in the way. Ugh.

When listening to the podcast, you'll be reminded that:

1.) The Mets gave up almost nothing to get Santana. I mean, less than nothing. They gave up a ball of dryer lint (pictured) for the best left-hander in baseball. Fuck.

2.) Santana is left-handed,and the left-handed hitting Utley and Howard are going to face this guy about 20 times each. Not a great matchup for the Phils.

3.) There is a complete lack of respect for the Phillies from some corners in baseball and Mets fans are the worst offenders. Whichever one of Simmons' dorky friends that Simmons was interviewing that was a Mets fan did not once mention the Phillies in any context of being a "threat". There was barely a passing mention of the Lidge acquisition and that was it. The last two MVPs in the NL play for Philadelphia and a third player, Chase Utley, happens to be the best 2nd baseman in baseball, yet for some reason, they don't see a threat. Wow.

4.) By the way, if you're a Boston hater, it is nauseating to listen to Simmons wax on poetically about how the Yankees NOT getting Santana was another victory for Red Sox nation. I don't know what was worse: hearing about something else go right for the Boston sports fan or hearing Simmons slobber the knob of a Mets fan. I felt like emptying my hot travel mug of coffee into my lap for relief.

So, do yourself a favor; ignore the lastest Sports Guy podcast if you're a Phillies fan.

Instead, check out this video of Thaddeus Young, from a high school all-star game from a couple of years ago:



No comments: